Feeling like we are on holidays, and were able to have a sleep in today. We had a late breakfast of 'bubble and squeak' with the leftover roast veggies, with some tomato, mushrooms and chicken mixed into a scrambled egg. You can be rest assured that although it's holidays, Matt still eats well. (im twice the man i used to be) We decided to do more exploring while the Baker's were on a fishing adventure. We headed to the Town Lagoon, and discovered a 3km nature walk. So we followed the trail, that went alongside the lagoon, with the odd warning sign erected beside the path saying there had been recent sightings of crocodiles. Whilst on the look out for crocs, I was on the lookout for snakes as well, and just as I was thinking that I should look for snakes, I saw one, a tiny, golden tree snake, sunning itself on a pile of sticks, and interwoven into the golden and green weeds that had grown over the sticks. I stopped and tried to call out to Matt quietly, so I didn't scare it away, though Matt will no doubt tell you that I was scared, but yes I was scared to disturb the snake, not scared of it as such. Matt came back as he had already walked passed it and hadn't seen it, and by the time he was able to get the camera out, it had rapidly retreated back into the leaf litter under the nearby bushes. So you will just have to trust me on that, that it was real! It was real. i saw it too. but the little beggar would've been quick on his feet if he had any, im still amazed how fast something without legs can move. heres one we saw last trip so you dont miss out.
The walk took us to a wetland and we enjoyed some bird watching and Matt did some photography, but also on the lookout for floating logs. No crocs were spotted, and we continued on the path and back to the bus, where a couple of indigenous girls and their non-indigenous carer, were admiring 'Bridget' and taking selfies. We had a lovely chat with them and they gave us some sight-seeing tips and recommendations too.
town Lagoon Nhulunbuy
Our next stop was at Middle Beach. where we took a stroll down the beach to the rocks at the headland, and again always trying to be on croc watch. The tide was out and we were able to walk around the rocks and to the end of Town Beach, where the wind immediately hit us and the sand was blowing towards us. The sand was softer and less coarse, and we sat here for a while and watched the sea. I spied a couple of crocs at different times, coming up for air and then disappearing beneath the green waters. There was also crabs of various sizes and types, busy running and hiding and digging holes. When you walked along the sand, you would see the little shells moving, and then come to a stop when you got close to them. As the tide started to come in, we went back around the rocks, and sat under some in the shade, and continued to watch the crabs, and there was this one particular crab that would keep reappearing come towards us, then run back and disappear down its hole, or not quite entirely disappear, and all you could see were the two little eyes on short stalks, poking up out of the hole!
We headed back to 'Bridget' and drove to the other end of Middle Beach and sat on a high spot, under the shade of some she-oak trees. The wind would whisper through the trees, as we ate our lunch, and watched the seagulls dive into the Arafura Sea and catch fish and re-emerge. There was a lagoon at this end of the beach, and a couple of men were fishing there. After lunch, I was suddenly feeling very exhausted in the humidity and connected up to my IV nutrition and fluids, and we headed back to the Walkabout lodge for a rest.
We enjoyed a quite afternoon, and I started to read a book, and Matt was sorting out photos.The Bakers kindly shared some of the fish they had caught at sea, some silver sea bream, which we had wrapped in foil and cooked on the BBQ with options of butter, garlic, spring onions and lemon to accompany it. I had some fish, which was delicious, but unfortunately, did not agree with my stomach later. I just need to remind myself, how good it was to taste and enjoy it momentarily. I headed into the bus to clean up and wash up, and then a few other guests from the lodge came over to ask questions about the Clippers, and had wanted a look inside, and I was relieved that Matt hadn't been open to letting them in, it was 8pm and I was about to go and have a shower. i didnt really want to have people thru when we are trying to pack up for the night. pick your times people. We know it comes with the territory with having the Clipper, but sometimes, you just have to say no, putting up some boundaries is quite ok. But otherwise it was a great day.
oh and the clutch is working nicely again, thanks for asking.




This looks amazing
ReplyDelete